The Centre Aval de Traitement des Données SMOS (CATDS), developped by the CNES in collaboration with the CESBIO and IFREMER, is dedicated to :
- Product and distribute SMOS L3/L4 products (from L1B products from the ESA Data Processing Ground Segment)
- Reprocess SMOS L3/L4 products when necessary
- Propose improvements of the L0 to L2 processing chains (possibly helping to fine tune the calibration aspects) ; once validated, these algorithms will be proposed for a transfer to ESA Data Processing Ground Segment.
- Provide services & hot-line support to L3/L4 users
- Develop, test and validate algorithms for L3 and L4 processing chains, in close cooperation with the scientific community
The CATDS is made up of 3 centers :
- Data Production Center (CPDC), hosted by IFREMER Brest
- Soil Moisture Expertise Center (CEC-SM), hosted by CESBIO Toulouse
- Ocean Salinity Expertise Center (CEC-OS), co-hosted by IFREMER Brest and LOCEAN Paris
- Web site: http://www.catds.fr/
- Funding agency/program: ESA/DUE
- Status: ongoing
- Partners: CNES,IFREMER,CESBIO
SMOS (Soil Moisture and Ocean Salinity) mission is a joint ESA / CNES / CDTI Earth Observation program. The objective of the SMOS mission is to provide Soil Moisture (SM) and Ocean Salinity (OS) maps. Both SM and OS are key variables in climate monitoring, surface / vegetation / atmosphere transfers, and ocean / atmosphere cycles.